Open OGG File
OGG file extension is used by multimedia files utilizing OGG container format. OGG file format was developed by xiph.org foundation as free open-source initiative for storing audio and video streams. While OGG files may contain both audio and video data encoded with different codecs, xipf.org foundation in 2007 requested that file extension OGG be only used for audio files with Vorbis compression. This is done for compatibility purposes.
It was proposed to the the following extensions from 2007 and on:
- .File extension oga for audio files regardless of the codec used;
- .File extension ogv for video files;
- .File extension ogx for applications;
OGG container format is open-ended so additional codecs can be added to it at any time. Most commonly used audio codecs currenty are:
- FLAC - high quiality losless compression of HiFi audio streams. FLAC also defines it's own container format that is identified by file extension File extension FLAC;
- Vorbis - medium and high quality compression of music;
- Speex - for low-quality lossy compression of voice data;
OGG supports Dirac, OggUVS, Tarkin and Theora video codecs that allow various quality and bitrate settings. There also several codecs for encoding subtitle information including CMML and Annodex.
You can open OGG files by various media players including VLC Player, Windows Media Player (with a codec), Quicktime.
Open OGG File on Windows Operating System
- Find a OGG file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a OGG file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open OGG file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open OGG file then try to search for "OGG wiki", "application to open OGG file" or "open OGG file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open OGG file
Rate OGG file page: 4/5 based on 17 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open OGG files, file extension ogg and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...